POSTAL, QUARANTINE AND SAFETY REGULATIONS COMMITTEE
D. Smith (Chair)
CABI Bioscience UK Centre (Egham), Bakeham Lane, Egham, Surrey TW20 9TY, UK.
Institut Pasteur, Service de la Collection, 25 rue Du Dr. Roux,
PARIS CEDEX 15, 75724, France. Fax: +33 1 4061 3107 Email: email@example.com
Ministry of Education, Faculty DF SCI-UI, 16424 Depkok, Indonesia.
Fax: 0062 217270012
NSTDA-NGGEB, 10400 Bangkok, Thailand. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
American Type Culture Collection, 10801 University Boulevard, Manassas,
VA 20110, USA. Email: email@example.com
The National Institute of Agrobiological Resources, MAFF, 2-1-2 Kannondai,
Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305 Japan. Fax: +81 298 38 7408
European Collection for Animal Cell Cultures, PHLS CAMR, Porton Down,
Salisbury, SP4 OFG. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Julio Rodrigues Neto
Instituto Biológico-SBF, Caixa Postal 70, 13001-970 Campinas SP BRAZIL
DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH, D-38124
Braunschweig, Germany. Email: email@example.com
UA Microfungus Collection and Herbarium (UAMH), A Division of the Devonian
Botanic Garden, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, T6G 2E1.
International Collection of Microorganisms from Plants, Landcare Research,
Private Bag 92170, Auckland, New Zealand. Email: YoungJ@landcare.cri.nz
Areas to be addressed this term (1996-2000):
- An improved more efficient way of gathering and distributing quarantine, safety and shipping data world-wide.
- Increased vigilance on the shipping of dangerous biological agents that could be used in biological or chemical warfare and keeping abreast of new initiatives such as the USA rule on stricter control of the use and distribution of select infectious agents.
- The WFCC needs to take a more active role in the development stages of new relevant legislation.
- The production of Safety Standards for Microbial Resource Collections would be useful step to take. It would be in keeping with other guidelines produced by the WFCC and would help set acceptable standards to be attained by collections world-wide.
- Compilation of information on microbial toxins, their production, containment, safe handling and hazard status.
- It seems that the tendency for organisms to be listed in higher level hazard groups sometimes on the basis of uncritical determinations and sometimes with very little supporting data, should be a matter of concern for researchers. The WFCC Postal, Quarantine and Safety Committee could provide more accurate data for future revisions of hazard lists.
- Joint publication of Shipping of infectious, non-infectious and genetically modified biological materials. International Regulations by DSMZ and WFCC.
HYPERNOTES AND REPORTS** Reports are saved as pdf format on this server. To see the pdf format file, please install acrobat reader on your computer or implement PDFViewer plug-in (which is composed by Acrobat reader package) for Netscape users.
Last modified: September 6, 2000